July 21, 2020
Dear Conneaut School District Families,
This school year will be quite a bit different than any of us have ever experienced. We truly are sailing in uncharted waters. Each school board has been briefed on our county plan for reopening our schools this fall. You can click on the link here to read it, and I encourage you to do so. (REOPENING LINK HERE)
The governor has advised us to expect rolling starts and stops this school year. We as a district will need to be ready to seamlessly shift from in person instruction to on-line quite literally at a day’s notice and we know this may be challenging for families. We will make every attempt to make these transitions as easy as possible for every student in the Conneaut School District by providing each student a Chromebook this school year. By providing every student with the same device, we anticipate less confusion and anxiety than what we experienced at the end of the 2019/2020 school year.
We understand that sending students back to school may be a very difficult and personal family decision and some families may want to stay with the district and want to keep their children home by attending our Conneaut Cyber. For these reasons, we are expanding our robust 9-12 cyber school to encompass grades K-6. For the first time, as we start the 2020/2021 school year, we will offer Cyber School K-12 in our district.
I think most of us agree that in person instruction is far superior to cyber learning. We have never pushed our cyber to the elementary grades due to this fact. However, unprecedented times call for unprecedented actions. We certainly don’t have the time to build a K-6 Online program, so we are partnering with other districts in the IU5 to offer programing through CAOLA. (See link https://caola.caiu.org/) This is completely unlike the online programming we had at the end of the 2019/2020 school year. This is a true cyber school program through CAOLA taught by Conneaut teachers. We will have teachers you can call during the day with questions or for help with the program.
CSD Cyber Academy
- K-12 curriculum
- A flexible school schedule allowing students to work during nontraditional school hours
- District supplied Chromebook
- Free tech support during operation hours
- Internet reimbursement up to $30 a month
- Courses facilitated by Conneaut School District teachers
- Daily feedback on student’s progress
- Opportunities for face to face instruction or assistance
- Students may participate in extracurricular activities at the home school
- PSSA and Keystone State exams done locally at the student’s home school building
- Graduating students receive a Conneaut School District diploma and may participate in graduation ceremony at Conneaut Area Senior High School
If you are interested in having your children attend Conneaut Cyber Academy, please contact your building principal.
While we don’t know what this year will look like, we will confront it together and do our best to educate all our students. There will be hurdles and obstacles, but I know that we will work together as a district to smooth those bumps in the road and make the 2020/2021 school year the best it can for our students and their families.
Stay safe, be smart, and please keep helping one another.