Conneaut SCHOOL DISTRICT SUPPORT FOR
YOUTH EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS
The Conneaut School District has developed procedures and policies to support students who may be experiencing homelessness as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 2001. Students may qualify as homeless as they lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. The Homeless Children’s Initiative helps homeless children and youth access Pennsylvania’s Public schools by removing barriers to a free and appropriate public education and continue as uninterrupted as possible while he or she is homeless.
WHO IS HOMELESS?
Some reasons that students may qualify as a homeless youth include:
- Sharing housing with others due to loss of housing due to economic hardship.
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to a lack of adequate alternative accommodations.
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters.
- Abandoned in hospitals or awaiting foster care.
- Outside of his or her home as a runaway or because he/she has been forced out of the home.
- In a house for unwed mothers with no other options for living accommodations.
- Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designated for regular sleeping accommodations.
- Children and youths living in cars, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations or similar settings.
Students who are determined to be homeless, due to a lack of a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence are entitled to:
- Attend the school of origin or school of current residence.
- Remain in chosen school for remainder of year once they are permanently housed.
- Immediate enrollment.
- Immediate access to educational services for which they are eligible.
- Free meals provided by the district through federal, state, or local food programs.
- Attend the school of choice during enrollment disputes.
- Appeal placement decisions made by the District.
Click links below for more information and resources.
- Pennsylvania's Education for Children and youth Experiencing Homelessness Program
- McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- Conneaut School District Homeless Students Policy (review policy 251)